Search This Blog

Monday, September 23, 2013

Legos -- to go!

Let's get real for a second. Kids love Legos, but parents don't (all the time). The little pieces get lost all over the house and it's not exactly fun when you step on one of the little sharp shapes -- surprise, you found another Lego!

Well, I found a solution on Pinterest that seems to be working for my little one. It's a wooden Lego storage box with a play area attached on top! Once she's done, the Legos go back into their new cozy (and portable) home, so we don't endure any more Lego tragedies.  



I started off making one for my nephew for his birthday, but quickly got signed up to make one for my daughter, other nieces/nephews and relatives.

NOTE: IF YOU AREN'T THE CRAFTY TYPE -- I WOULD BE HAPPY TO MAKE ONE FOR YOU FOR THE RIGHT PRICE! 


Here's what you need:
Wooden box (or tray)
Paint (I used Acrylic) & Paint Brushes
Lego Building Plate
Scissors (or some type of tool to cute plate)
Paint Pens
Hot Glue Gun
Legos (optional)

I got this at Hobby Lobby, but many craft stores have wooden boxes or trays. The medium sized box is $7.99, but got them for $4.79 using a 40% off coupon on the Hobby Lobby App. Large boxes are $9.99, but $5.99 with coupon!! 
I bought the plates at a Lego store --- these run anywhere from $4.99 to $14.99 depending on size.  I think I saw these for sale at Target too.

WHAT TO DO:

1. Paint the boxes (I did two layers of paint). Let dry overnight.
2. Write on the boxes with paint pens.
3. Cut the building plates (or get your hubby to do this with tools like I did). Make sure you round the edges so they aren't sharp. 
4. Hot glue the plate to the box. This is kinda tricky because the glue tends to get hard before the entire plate is on. 
5. Add Legos.
6. Watch kids open up their gift and smile!






For my niece, I added glitter paint (the same color green) to the inside to give it a little bling-bling!





I think my girl uses her Lego box about three times a week and the Legos NEVER get lost!

Enjoy! 

Feel free to pin!

Kathryn 



Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I was just looking for a better lego solution last week. I'm going to have to make one of these.

    ReplyDelete