Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

To die for Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars!





Recipe Courtesy: "The Girl Who Ate Everything"
Click here for the full recipe

On the first few blogs, you will have to bare with me. I am going through old receipts to see how much I saved on the ingredients. In the future, I will be better at organizing those long paper printouts!


So, the peanut butter chocolate bars called for the following ingredients ...

1 pkg of plain yellow cake mix - this was a BOGO and I had two .70 off coupons which made each cake mix 22 cents!
1/2 cup butter, melted - this was a BOGO and I had $1 off coupons for each package of butter, making a package cost 69 cents (and I have plenty left)
1 cup creamy peanut butter - already had in the pantry
2 eggs - I got for FREE from Kroger Plus coupons in the mail
1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips - already in pantry from holiday sales

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk - I went with the Publix store brand for $2.29

2 Tablespoons butter - (same as butter above)

2 teaspoons vanilla - I got the Publix brand for less than $2 (and barely made a dent in the bottle)

 

Savings Summary:
  • Because of BOGOs and multiple coupons, I got the cake mix AND butter for only 91 cents and I still have lots of butter and one cake mix package left. Many people don't know that you can use coupons on each BOGO item. Since one is free, the second coupon cuts into the cost of the item you have to pay for.
  • I had a coupon for condensed milk, but it was still cheaper to go with the store brand.
  • I got the eggs for free for signing up for Kroger Plus -- they send you FREE coupons every once in a while!

My Overall Rating:

Recipe - EASY! EASY! EASY!
Taste - Let's put it this way, my husband didn't want to share the yummy squares with co-workers. He said this was my best dessert creation ever. I will be making this again!
Couponing Cost -  I paid less than $6, but I can use the vanilla extract and butter on several more batches.









Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment